Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Solubility Product Constants: My values vs. Literature Values Comments?

For my lab report, it's asking how well my value agrees with the literature value



a) Solubility of AgCl in g/ml:



My value: 4.74 x 10^(-6)



Literature Value: 1.9 x 10^(-4)



and for....



b) Solubility PbCl2 in g/100ml



My Value: 2.71 g/100ml



Literature Value: 1.08



What comments should I be making? I don't understand what kind of answer my professor is looking for, Thanks so much



Solubility Product Constants: My values vs. Literature Values Comments?

Well think about the question and look at the data you have. Notice that your values are not the same as the literature values? That's what it's asking you about. Explain how far off from the literature value your values are and explain possible reasons for this discrepancy.



Have you ever heard of "percent error?" Well like the name says it's a measure of your percent error.



The general formula is:



actual-experimental/actual x 100%



Note that the answer must be positive so you should have the absolute value sign around actual-experimemtal/actual.



The actual is the literature value and the experimental is your value.



Use that formula to calculate your percent error and include that in your response. Explain possible errors and/or differences in the way you conducted this experiment and the way a professional scientist would that may have caused you to have this percent error. It would also be wise to explain what could be done to reduce the percent errror.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
commericial loan