Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Has anyone got any comments that would support managing the behaviour of Ethnic Minority and EAL stu

I am doing a module on a course for supporting English as An Additional Language. I need references that consider the needs of students, in particular their cultural needs. Some bilingual assistants have pointed out some differences for the management and support of Bengali or Arabic students. Please could any of you suggest for other language speakers. I am also referring to behaviour could be a result of cultural expectations and your comments would be most valued



Has anyone got any comments that would support managing the behaviour of Ethnic Minority and EAL students?

It's not very clear what you're looking for - what kind of references do you need and who are you comparing the students to? You mentioned cultures - are you specifically comparing to 'British' culture? - if so, it's a bit vague.



I'm sorry to pick at your question but I teach a 100% Pakistani origin class in a very culturally un-mixed area of a reasonably large city. As a result of this lack of mixture, the children I teach have very little contact with 'British' culture, and therefore expectations are shifted somewhat in school and more obviously at home. The children tend to be very racist towards me (white), though they often don't realise they're being offensive as they've picked up a lot of their manners from home - mainly from older siblings or cousins. Parents are very supportive, and genuinely want to safeguard their children. The boys have lower motivation and expectations of themselves, therefore the girls I teach tend to try a lot harder and want to succeed. I believe this is because they understand how privilaged they are to receive a good education. I teach year 6 (11 year olds) and the boys are already beginning to show a lack of respect for women - evident sometimes in their behaviour towards myself. Generally behaviour with me is good, though I have witnessed bad behaviour from my class towards women teachers at all levels - I believe that respect for their teacher is the main reason they are good for me. I've tended to treat the children as I expect them to treat me - ruling out any form of inappropriate language, always being respectful and making eye contact when speaking.



The main barrier in this kind of community is that children are not able to mix with other cultures and it breeds a lack of tollerance and even a degree of racism as they don't fully understand how to integrate into normal situations outside of their confort zone. Ways I've tried to tackle this is to take them on as many trips as possible and introduce lots of visitors to the class.



I hope that's of help. Please email if I can help further.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
commericial loan