Thursday, December 3, 2009

Internet Law... Do I have a right to have comments about me removed from site?

A former sixth grade student of mine has posted a nasty comment about me on a popular website. To be honest, I do not want my name on any rating website. I have contacted the site administrator. They have responded with the following, "We do not remove teachers from the site." What can I do to remove my name. Isn't this cyberbullying? Don't I have rights??? I do not want my full name and district attached to comments about me.



Internet Law... Do I have a right to have comments about me removed from site?

I assume you are referring to the "RatemyTeacher.com" website, which allows students and parents to rate teacher's performance and ability.



I don't think that it qualifies as cyber-bullying any more than a negative performance review from your superiors qualifies as harassment or bullying.



Sorry.



I don't think you have ANY right to have comments removed from that site.



If you don't like what that student wrote and you know who it was who wrote it, maybe you should take a closer look at your interactions with him/her and your students in general.



Are you too strict? Too rigid and inflexible? Do you yell at the kids often? Insult them?



Maybe you should take a closer look at your teaching style and make changes if needed that may help give you more positive ratings.



You could try consulting an attorney, but honestly I don't think that you have a case, considering the 1st Amendment of Freedom of Speech.



As long as that student is not making any threats, or talking about violence towards you, you cannot silence others from discussing you and your abilities as a teacher online or offline.



Besides you are not the only teacher on that website with negative comments and ratings. There are THOUSANDS of schools and teachers listed, and you are only just one of them.



From what I've seen only the really bad teachers get negative comments posted about them. Most if they aren't too bad, just get neutral comments and ratings.



So if you got a negative comment there must be something bad that you're doing that caused you to get that comment. What is it?



Anyway, if you don't like it, maybe you should try improving your teaching style so that you get better ratings and comments.



Internet Law... Do I have a right to have comments about me removed from site?

e-mail him again demanding it ans say the reason (cyberbullying) you should also tell the principal of her schools because schools get involved with this. IF necessary you should get the police in this.



You have that right because its posting personal information about you, and they do not have your permission.



Internet Law... Do I have a right to have comments about me removed from site?

You have the right to ask; they have the right to refuse; you have the right to attempt legal actions. HAve an atty contact them if it's a concern



Internet Law... Do I have a right to have comments about me removed from site?

If it is inaccurate then sue the student for libel. I suspect you belong to a union. Contact them they probably have lawyers and I suspect they'd be willing to send a letter to the tyke's parents and the site operator. It's amazing what a letter from a lawyer can do. Also, contact your school district they might take a legal interest, too.



I am not a lawyer. Only licensed lawyers can give legal advise.



Internet Law... Do I have a right to have comments about me removed from site?

see chillingeffects.or on the idea that somehow the post violates the DMCA. if you can find ground, then follow instructions there to serve notice on the ISP that hosts the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
commericial loan